Unusual heritage

Modillon sculpté - Eglise Saint-Patrocle de La Celle (03)

This "impolite" little character, who sticks his tongue out at passers-by, is one of the modillions in the church of Saint-Patrocle in LA CELLE.

This late 11th/early 12th century church is dedicated to Saint-Patrocle, who lived as a hermit in La Celle before establishing a monastery in Colombier at the end of his life, where he died in 576.

The north chapel also has a kind of a hole from which the lord of the manor could have a direct view of the officiant while remaining hidden from the faithful attending the service in the nave.

Libellule Commentry (03) - Meganeura monyi

This sculpture by Alain Bourgeon is located in COMMENTRY and represents the town's emblem: the meganeura monyi dragonfly, a fossil discovered at the end of the 19th century in the Commentry coalfield. This specimen was exceptional for its size: 70cm wingspan!

"More than 1,300 specimens were recorded by the entomologist and palaeontologist Charles Brongniart in 1885. Numerous scientific studies have revealed the extraordinary palaeoentomological wealth of Commentry and the remarkable conservation of its fossil insects" (source: Sylvain Charbonnier, Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle).

Ruines du château de Murat (03)

It's hard to believe that these few sections of wall are practically all that remain of the Château de MURAT!

And yet the fortress of Murat was one of the most important ducal strongholds in the Bourbonnais. It was dismantled in 1531, following the defection of the Constable.

There is a local saying that goes "Bourbon the beautiful, Murat the rich and Chantelle the strong", referring to the three fortresses of 3 medieval castellanies.

 At the foot of the old castle, you can discover a spring that is said never to freeze, "Le Creux Chaud". This spring inspired the writer Jean-Charles Varennes in his book "Les fiancés du creux chaud".

The ruins are on private property. They can only be seen from the outside.

Château de Puy-Guillon - Vernusse (03)

Like Sleeping Beauty's castle, Puy-Guillon castle in VERNUSSE towers skywards.
The seven-century-old citadel of Puy Guillon has stood the test of time. In 1300 Hugues de la Bâtisse was Lord of Puy-Guillon. In 1398, the Beaucaire family took possession of the castle, which remained in their possession for over two centuries. The tombstone of Jean III de Beaucaire can be seen in the church of St-Martin, near the church treasury, in the former chapel of the Virgin.

This private castle is undergoing ongoing restoration. Free access from outside, only via the path to the right of the main entrance gate, with a view of the east facade of the château and the grand staircase (work in progress).